Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving in HK



The title of this post is a bit misleading because it implies that my day consisted of something Thanksgiving-y, which, aside form very briefly explaining the Pilgrims and Native Americans to one of my students, it had very little to do with the holiday. I spent most of the day in teacher-mode, teaching two classes, grading papers, getting my Chinese visa in order, etc. My flatmates and our program director capped off the day at an Italian restaurant. As my dad said, Italian food in China on Thanksgiving. Makes perfect sense, right?

However, I did get one small taste of American Thanksgiving. Today, when I ravenously ran to the canteen for a quick lunch between classes, I spotted a "pumpkin pie" in the display case for sale. I decided, in the spirit of the holiday, to indulge in the American classic, even though I have eaten maybe one piece of pumpkin pie in my entire life prior to today.








Delicious, no?
















Well, I'll admit the pie did not exactly strike the same chords as real pumpkin pie (as you can tell from the picture, I think they were closer to capturing the color of pumpkin pie than the flavor, and if the pale orange of the pie is any indication...). However, it was a nice piece of pseudo-nostalgia.

Hope everyone has a lovely Thanksgiving! Hook 'em Horns! And Yale, I still can't believe you went for it on 4th and 22...

No comments:

Post a Comment